Sunday 18 September 2011

Egg white omelet


Eggs are a great source of protein, vitamin A and vitamin D, the perfect food to fuel you up for a hard workout. I love to hit the gym in the morning before work and I always started the day with a couple of scrambled eggs (sometimes hardboiled if I was in a hurry!) and fruit. I thought I was being healthy, and I was, sort of. Turns out eggs are high in cholesterol. Not something I ever thought about in my twenties, but as I started getting older I realized I needed to pay attention to how much fat and cholesterol I was putting into my diet.
I didn’t want to give up my morning eggs, I tried to switch to cereal or pancakes but they just left me feeling tired and sluggish. It was then I read about egg whites. The yolk of the eggs is what carries the fat and cholesterol, and the egg whites are still loaded with protein and nutrition, minus the bad stuff. I started experimenting with different herbs and veggies to create an egg white omelet that would still taste great without the yolk. Here’s a recipe for one of my favorite below. This egg white omelet only has 81 calories, 1.6 grams of fat, and 5 grams of cholesterol while still containing a whopping 13.4 grams of protein! Perfect for a before your workout meal. Feel free to substitute your own fresh herbs, vegetables, or whatever sounds delicious to you.

Ingredients:

  • 3 egg whites
  • 1 tablespoon milk (use nonfat or even soy to keep the calories down)
  • 1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs (my favorites are oregano or basil for this omelet)
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 3/4 cup chopped fresh baby spinach
  • 1 tablespoon feta or goat cheese (you can also use a reduced fat cheddar if you prefer)

Directions:

  1. Combine egg whites, milk and herbs in a small bowl. Coat a small nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat the skillet on medium to low heat.
  2. Add chopped spinach to skillet, pour egg white mixture over the spinach and allow to set
    around the edges. As the edges set, lift them gently with a spatula and tip the skillet to allow
    remaining liquid underneath.
  3. When the egg whites are set, sprinkle the cheese on top, then fold the omelet in half. Serve
    immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment