Tuesday 20 December 2011

How To Make Mixed Berries Broiled with Cream Salad

I’m not that good at making desserts, whenever I prepare a meal I put all of my efforts and time into the appetizers, main meal and side dishes that just thinking about making dessert leaves me exhausted. Also I’m more into the salty tasting stuff than the sweet stuff, this doesn’t mean in any way that I don’t enjoy something sweet, I am completely envious and impressed with my friends who make awesome looking desserts and by some of the desserts I see on other blogs, some look so good and beautiful that it almost seems a sin to eat them. I probably eat fruit or chocolate or ice cream at least once a day, and I’ve been known to grab a spoon and a jar of nutella and almost finish it, but unlike Nicolas and the boys I can’t bring myself to eat bread and nutella, I have to have cheese or something salty with my bread. Of course I can’t just say “no desserts”, especially when I have a 5 year old whose main incentive for behaving throughout the day is knowing that the reward will be a dessert (surprise me he says when I ask him what he wants for dessert and yes I know that bribing kids with food and candy is probably wrong and but I still do it), so I know how to make a few desserts and most of them are very easy and simple and I am trying to be more creative and experimental in the dessert (which means there have been a few disasters but at least they contain sugar so they are still consumed). This dessert of mixed berries with cream is very easy and can be almost entirely prepared in advance; the final assembly and broiling can be done right before serving. The finished dessert looks somewhat like a crème brulee but the filling does not contain eggs and is extremely simple to make, and the best part is that they taste delicious; I overfilled my ramekins with the cream mixture which caused them to overflow while broiling and gave them that messy look. The quantities in this recipe are for 6 people or 6 ramekins.
Ingredients:
4 cups of mixed berries
1 cup plain yogurt
1 cup heavy cream
½ teaspoon vanilla
2 tbs sugar + 6 tbs sugar for topping
Preparation:
Mix together the yogurt, cream, vanilla and 2 tbs sugar until well mixed.
Place the berries in ramekins or small oven proof containers; arrange the berries in a way that small spaces are left in between to allow the cream mixture to seep through.
Spoon the cream mixture over the berries (if you don’t want them to overflow while broiling don’t overfill them).
Pre-heat the broiler and place your oven rack as close to the broiler as possible.
Sprinkle with 1 tbs of sugar per each ramekin.
Place the ramekins on a cookie sheet, this makes it easier to put them in and take them out of the oven, and broil until the sugar begins to caramelize, about 6-8 minutes (depending on your oven).

No comments:

Post a Comment